Avoid empty waste bins in the collecting rounds! Waste bins report their fill-level by connecting to the cloud via the closest streetlight.
The so-called “smart bins” represent the more commonly acknowledged, example of feasible waste-related project in the context of Smart Cities. Nevertheless, smart waste management should be intended as well-beyond the simple installation of sensors on bins, and it should embrace an integrated planning strategy tailored for resource recovery and efficiency within a circular economy framework. Here are some features often mentioned when discussioning “smart bins”:
- Increases the fill-level when collecting
- Reduces unnecessary collection stops
- Avoids overfilled trash cans
- Allows more efficient planning and collection routes
- Provides statistical data for city planning